Monday, November 23, 2009

Just a question

Today's post won't be a long one. I'm just wondering....

What do you think is better for an author who is pursuing college? To study English or to go to college and pursue another career choice?

I plan on getting a PhD in English with a focus on creative writing while minoring in Public Relations. Beforehand, I wanted to major in Psychology with a minor in English. I didn't change my mind because of the question, but still. What do you think is a better choice? While I know experience is the key to becoming a great writer, it's not like majoring in English wouldn't also help.

2 comments:

Heart Lace said...

I had been wondering the same thing when I went to a writing camp this past summer. I asked my course teacher for the camp, Holly Black, about it and she suggested that you study something that can be very marketable and help you get a job once out of college. Being a writer doesn't exactly pay the bills very well after all and in nearly all cases it takes years to be published. So consider what other activities interest you and weigh your options.

It sounds like to me, though, that you've got a great plan already. It's a lot like mine!

Anonymous said...

I agree. But, it depends what you also want to be along with being a writer. Then pursuing your main career choice would make more sense. (to me.) But, minoring in English, and still taking a class in your main career choice would be my desision.